Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Oct 20 22:08:18 UTC 2004

On Oct 20, 2004, at 4:31 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)
> --------
>
> Don't fret Wilson; I remember my grandparents (low-land hillbillies
> from far Western Kentucky) saying "davenport': course they'd be well
> into their 100s if they was alive.
>
> dInIs

Thanks, dInIs! I needed that. BTW, do you remember "Li'l Abner," who
lived in the mythical Kentucky hamlet of Dog Patch? If you do, did you
find Al Capp's eye-dialect as weird as I did? E.g. his spelling of
"you" as "yo' and "your" as "yore," as that pronunciation was
non-standard. When I was in the Army, I met people who pronounced
"your" as [yur] and "you're" as [yor], the exact opposite of my usage.
I've wondered for years whether Capp's eye-dialect was perhaps based on
some similar dialect.

-Wilson