Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Oct 21 01:03:24 UTC 2004

>>Out of curiosity though, what's a "Pittsburgh twang"?  Can you put it
>>in
>>IPA (or our listserv substitute system for IPA)?  I think I know what
>>you
>>mean, but I want a native speaker's take on this!

Um-- not sure.  I can't really find a vowel sound that seems to
represent that for me.  Let me think about it and I'll try to come up
with something (sorry-- brain dead about now)

Patti

--

Freeman - And what drives you on, fighting the monster?

Straker - I don't know, something inside me I guess.

Freeman - It's called dedication.

Straker - Pig-headedness would be nearer.