Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects)

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 21 13:08:46 UTC 2004

I still suspect that what the student is talking about is a
pronunciation  of 'thanks' in which the nasalization of the vowel is
so strong that no separate velar nasal segment is perceived (or
'there'). To use the notation offered so far

/th anas k s/

where /anas/ = nasalized vocalic segment.

dInIs

NB: That's the pronunciation I get when my nose is stopped up.

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu