New Jersey Dialects

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Oct 21 13:38:44 UTC 2004

From:    Alice Faber <faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU>
: Bethany K. Dumas said:
:: somebody else wrote:

::: particular feature they were picking at was a tendency (which I
::: have no knowledge if it's so or not) to pronounce the names of the
::: days of the week as "Mondee, Tuesdee" etc instead of "Monday,
::: Tuesday".

:: What's the difference?

: /i/ vs /e/. I have the latter, and the former sounds distinctly
: unnatural to me.

Which of these is older, i'm wondering--i just looked in Kenyon & Knott and
found *only* the /i/ pronunciation, and Clement Wood's 1936 rhyming
dictionary also has *only* the /i/ pronunciation. Is /e/ a reading
pronunciation that's naturalized?

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx