davenport (was: Hallucinating distinctions (was New Jersey Dialects))

Thu Oct 21 14:32:34 UTC 2004

    "Patti J. Kurtz" <kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET> inscribes:

My students in Ohio did a field project and found "davenport," at least
in their sample (which admittedly was small), to very age graded (sorry,
Wilson!)  That is, mainly people over about 50 used it at all.  I
suspect the same is true here, though I don't think my students have
done that project here yet.

And I also believe it was a brand name first.

FWIW my grandmother used it all the time-- she was in her 60's at the
time, in the 1960's in western PA

But for me, it's a couch (with the appropriate Pittsburgh twang of
course : )
<<<

MW Online:

Etymology: probably from the name Davenport
1 : a small compact writing desk
2 : a large upholstered sofa often convertible into a bed
 <<<

OED Online:

Also devonport. [Said to be from the maker's name.]

    A kind of small ornamental writing-table or escritoire fitted with
drawers, etc.
  (Remembered in 1845.)

  1853 Pract. Mechanic's Jrnl. VI. 212 This very elegant and convenient desk
is similar to an ordinary Devonport. 1875 Argosy May 329 At her davenport,
pen in hand, sat her ladyship.
 <<<

mark by hand