Was New Jersey Dialects, now turned south

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Oct 21 16:07:42 UTC 2004

>Here's a fun fact. In the Southern Shift (with English viewed
>globally, if I may), the /ey/ vowel moves into the /ay/ position.
>(Member, in the US South /ay/ done moved front and monophthongized
>itsef).

If a speaker had secondary stress on weekday names, they would surely
shift /dey/ to /day/, and, south of England, Strain, South African,
and others do. US southerners do not, I suspect, since most have
weakened the stress and raised the weakened /ey/ to and /i/-like
position before the operation of the Southern Shift rule. When
southern US speakers restress 'day' (or have never lost it, as in
'good day' (an admittedly little-used greeting the the US south), the
/ey/ does indeed surface as /ay/.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston