Ety: "dogie"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Oct 21 21:37:29 UTC 2004

I once very tentatively endorsed the possibility that Western "dogie" had an African etymon.  Now I'm assured that it comes from Spanish "dogal," meaning a halter for an animal.

No dictionary supports either of these guesses, not even "El Diccianario de Espan~ol de Tejos."

Is anybody sufficiently fluent in Mexican Spanish to support or refute the putative Spanish origin of "dogie"?  (Yes, I know it COULD BE some kind of metonymy. But is it really?)

JL