prissy, 1842 (?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 22 18:59:06 UTC 2004

Most interesting, Arnold. Congratulations on your reactionary musical behavior!

JL

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Arnold M. Zwicky"
Subject: Re: prissy, 1842 (?)

On Oct 22, 2004, at 5:13 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> An unintended consequence of the introduction of radio and recorded
> sound was to cut the percentage of people ready to sing for others
> informally by about 99% (manufactured figure - for rhetorical purposes
> only). That was the final nail in the coffin of ALL authentic
> traditional singing in this country - except for the bawdy drinking
> songs of frat boys and rugby teams.
>
> Why sing when a) nobody wants to hear you because b) they can flip
> on the radio.

not to deny the general point, but as an enthusiastic participant in
shapenote singing (Sacred Harp, Denson Revision, for those of you who
know something about these things), i have to point out that SOME
authentic traditional singing survives very well.

arnold, about to host shapenote singing at his place this sunday
afternoon