putative bidialectalism

Fri Oct 22 20:27:31 UTC 2004

In a message dated 10/22/04 3:47:34 PM, wilson.gray at RCN.COM writes:

> FWIW, he is the best bi-dialectal speaker that I've ever heard,
> including myself, and that's saying a taste. He's in a class with
> Leonard Brezhnev's nameless personal interpreter, who's the best
> bi-lingual speaker that I've ever heard.

Does this refer to Allan Metcalf or John Rickford? Both are very talented
guys, and I THINK I know them both quite well. I've never heard either one speak
in anything other than what I have always taken to be the same dialect,
fundamentally, that he spoke at age 16 or so. The idea of Allan Metcalf doing rap or
John Rickford doing Frank Sinatra is delightful, though, and I hope we can
get them together for a duet in San Francisco in January. I'd particularly like
to hear John's rendition of "My Way" and Allan's "Me So Horny."