the curious grammar of Ohio

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Oct 28 15:55:18 UTC 2004

California?  Wow!

There was a discussion of positive "anymore" on this list a long time ago,
but actually I wonder if that terminology captures what's distinctive about
the usage.  I think I picked up positive "anymore" in college in Ohio.
I've used it comfortably ever since, and I don't feel particularly
outlandish using it here in the Northwest.  What I never picked up, and
what still sounds regional to me, is sentence-initial "anymore," whether
positive or negative.   Neither "Anymore, I always use positive 'anymore,'"
nor "Anymore, I never use positive 'anymore'" seems natural to me, but I
think both would be natural to speakers in the "homeland" of this usage.

Peter

--On Wednesday, October 27, 2004 5:04 PM -0400 Beverly Flanigan