the curious grammar of Ohio

Marsha Alley marshaalley at MSN.COM
Thu Oct 28 20:26:48 UTC 2004

Native of Southern Californian born 1947 into Appalachian family in California since 1925.  Everyone in the family used *anymore* this way, and also this:  "Anymore it seems everything's expensive."  I do, too; and living in Oregon now I notice it's common.  Are the two the same positive anymore?  I'm not a scholar, not familiar with some of the terms y'all are using.

Marsha

  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>
  Poster:       Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM<mailto:wilson.gray at RCN.COM>>
  Subject:      Re: the curious grammar of Ohio

  If memory serves - and it probably doesn't - Labov(?) collected an
  example of positive anymore in Kansas(?) from back in the '60's. It
  went something like this.

  Q. Do you find anything wrong with the following sentence?

        "Cigarettes are really expensive, anymore."