WHAM, Wiktionary, Fooding, Razor River Chicken and more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 30 16:31:03 UTC 2004

Greetings from Thimphu, Bhutan.

FOUR FRIENDS--The popular Bhutan fable of the elephant, monkey (on his back), rabbit (on his back), and peacock (on his back). OED?

NGULTRUM--Bhutanese currency. Not in the revised OED??

TSECHU--A series of Bhutanese dances. I attended one. Not in OED?

HOTEL SUNAM
FOODING, LODGING & BAR--A sign here.

RAZOR RIVER CHICKEN--A Vancouver-area person in this group says it's a local term for "salmon."

BLUES & BREWS--A Memphis-area person in this group said they have these in Memphis. Anywhere else?

WIKTIONARY--In THE STATESMAN, 25 October 2004, is an article by Swarat Chaudhuri ("The author is studying IT at the University of Pennsylvania"). He discusses the online OED, the Urban Dictionary, and others, and says "To extend open-source guru Eric Raymond's metaphor, _Britannica_ and the _OED_ are cathedrals to _Wikipedia_ and _Wiktionary's_ bazaars. ... Personally, I still rely on the _OED_ most of the time, but I also look forward to a day when _Wiktionary_ beats it hands down."
(Maybe Mark Mandel can speak to this guy--ed.)

WHAM--"An acronym, Wham stands for winning hearts and minds of the local people and 'friendly insurgents.'"--THE STATESMAN, 27 October 2004, pg. 14.

CAT--Common Admission Test. In OED?

GREEN BENCH--27 October 2004, THE TELEGRAPH, pg. 15: "The country's first environmental bench, set up in the Calcutta High Court in April 1996,..."

>From THE STATESMAN, North Bengal & Sikki, 25 October 2004, pg. 3, col. 4:
...tasted roadside delicacies which were a change from sumptuous spread of fish, _kasha mangsho_ and _payesh_ back home. Those with money to spare dropped in at the posh clubs which laid out their puja fare in great style or dined at five-star hotels which vied with each other in presenting long-forgotten recipes like _shukto_ and _dhokar dalna_--mouth-watering stuff for old-timers who may have recalled the culinary skills of their grandmothers.

OT: One more day in Bhutan, and then off to Sikkim.