wide array of death euphemisms

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Sep 1 18:13:53 UTC 2004

        What are L1s?

        I would be interested in the views of those, such as DInIs, who take care to avoid unduly prescriptivist approaches to language.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Mark A. Mandel
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 1:41 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: wide array of death euphemisms

Singlish (Singapore English) is absolutely no basis for comparison. Its
speakers are not native speakers of English, any dialect. Singlish is
heavily influenced by their L1s in its phonology, its lexicon, and its
syntax. In 1998 at Dragon Systems we collected nearly 40 hours of Singapore
English. It was in all respects an eye-opener (ear-opener?). "Things could
always be worse" is no excuse.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]