Different dialects, same error

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Sep 4 20:13:09 UTC 2004

Of course since it ain't nobody (leastways nobody I ever knowed)
named "Windy," I never took it to be nothing but "Wendy," even in the
face of the pragmatic evidence of "stormy eyes."

The claim that contextual evidence will cause an outsider to
rearrange his or her phonemic interpretation is very interesting, but
not supported in empirical tests.

It's true of "insiders': in an interesting paper at last year's NWAV,
Rakerd and Plichta showed that the more context (i.e., phonetic
context, not pragmatic) Northern Cities shifters heard, the more
likely they were to tolerate a fronted /a/. That is, they continued
to hear "socks" rather than "sacks" at a much more fronted (i.e.,
higher F2) when they were given more phonetic evidence that the
speaker was a Northern Cities shifter. Non-shifters, put the /a/ ~
/ae/ boundary at the same place, regardless of the amount of phonetic
context.

It wouold be interesting to see what northerners would do with

/ay thingk jaek sEd pIn/

versus

/ay theyngk jaek seyd pIn/

with regard to the last item.

I'm takin bets they'd hear "pin" in both cases. Southerners would, I
reckon, be another matter.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston