wide array of death euphemisms- icebreaker?

Kara Everman Karaeverman at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 5 18:33:17 UTC 2004

Dear Sir,
  I had every intention to use the inappropriate and quite obviously absent
punctuation in this post. This was the first post I had ever made on this list.
I guess you could say that my first post was a test to see how the people in
this group would respond. I know this isn't a social group but a community of
scholars. I assure you, however, that the student is doing her job. I did not
have any idea that I would be burned at the stake for intentionally forgetting
a period. The first message I posted was an icebreaker to me of some sort. I
suppose that my idea of an "icebreaker" is the idea of something crude,
horrible, and disgusting to quite a few pompous stiffs. I thought the idea of this
list was to celebrate people who are interested in linguistics and to share at
least one common denominator that I could call "word wit." Now instead of
celebrating the beauty and flexibility of the English language here I find myself
feeling degraded and, "picked out," as a middle schooler may feel when they
are the last person left standing that no one wants on their team. I am a
twenty-four year old student at a regular college. I would like to address in this
post that of words a statement had been made: "Sticks and stones may break my
bones, but words may never harm me."
   I do believe that it is the intention of some scholars to master the
English language so that they can cruelly manipulate and subjugate their peers and
coeds. This psychological emotional sadistic projection of emotion is probably
an entirely different government list. Semantics of the articulated phonetic
sounds within the English language have very little to do with the speakers,
or communicators, actual intentions. If a scholar wants to humiliate a layman,
that scholar will never come out and actually say, "I am trying to humiliate
you." The communicator can carefully manipulate the semantics of his language
to make his humiliation his coed seem innocent and unintentional.
Oversensitivity to case sensitivity can simply be an communicative emotional handicap.
Sincerely,
Kara Everman -
JuSt AnOtHeR nAmElEssS fAcElEsS nUmBeR iN tHe CrOwD oF mAnY