Johnny Mac(k) Brown

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Sep 6 12:01:28 UTC 2004

Is there a summary somewhere of putative relative silly names (e.g.,
Ima Hogg's sister Ura)? There was a grad student at Hawaii when I was
there in the early 80's named Rita Dente; she was, of course, teased
about her brother "Al." (So far as I know, Thomas Pyle's famous piece
"Bible Belt Onomastics" dealt only with real names, although it may
have squashed a few made-up ones like 'Ura.')

I'm pretty sure this is an understudied folk phenomenon; maybe not a
thesis but a pretty good paper.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu