faux mitzvah

Dennis Baron debaron at UIUC.EDU
Tue Sep 7 13:41:58 UTC 2004

Wordwatch:

I guess I'm behind the times, as usual, living out here in soybean
country, but I just learned on a trip to Highland Park this weekend of
the new phenom, the faux mitzvah, a coming of age party modeled on the
traditional Jewish bar/bat mitzvot, only for non-Jewish 13-year-olds
that is starting to become popular. I got three hits on Lexis/Nexis for
the phrase -- 2 from s. california and one from Atlanta, but nothing in
the midwest, which is apparently coming to this, as it comes to
everything, about a season late. Anyone tracking this?

Dennis