finna

Rachel E. Shuttlesworth rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU
Wed Sep 8 18:04:22 UTC 2004

When I taught at Mississippi State during Spring 2003, I first noticed
"finna" and interpreted it as a modification of "fixin to" (fIksInt@)
(which in my Alabamian mind means "about to" or "going to"). Some of my
students would say fI?nt@ (with a glottal stop /?/ replacing the /ks/
<x>), some said fI?n@ (with the /t/ gone) and still others said fIn@
(with the glottal stop gone). Since I first started paying attention to
its use over a year ago, I've heard it here a lot in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
as well, mostly from younger (under 30) AAVE speakers. To me, it could
work with that meaning in the examples you've found, especially the
first and third uses.

--

Rachel E. Shuttlesworth
CLIR Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Alabama Libraries
Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0266
Office: 205.348.4655/ Fax:205.348.8833
rachel.e.shuttlesworth at ua.edu