Different dialects, same error

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 9 03:36:10 UTC 2004

>Larry Horn writes:
>
>         >>>
>  Funny.  I remember going through the steps of reasoning when I first
>heard it.  It's one of those insidious tunes that I'm afraid will now
>turn into an earworm for me for the next 48 hours--thanks a LOT,
>Wilson  ;-)    As a New Yorker, I'm definitely in the group that
>distinguishes -in- from -en-, unlike you and dInIs, and like your
>friend, I was a bit puzzled about Windy as a name.  But that's
>definitely what I heard, and unlike what happens when I'm listening
>to those who neutralize, I really did hear it as Windy in the song
>and not Wendy.  Finally, I decided that that was the point of the
>song--everyone knows it's Windy.  Now to deal with that earworm...
>         <<<
>
>Like Larry, I grew up in New York, I've always distinguished /In/ from /En/,
>and as far as I can recall I heard the name as "Windy" from the start.
>Presumably unlike Larry, I have always had the name "Wendy" very high in my
>consciousness, since it's my sister's name. I don't recall having to reason
>it out when listening to the song. If I recall correctly, the lyric begins:
>
>         Who's walking down the streets of the city
>         Calling a name that's lighter than air?
>         [DUM da-dee DUM da DUM de-dum DUM dee]
>         Everyone knows it's Windy.
>
>And the release begins:
>
>         And Windy has stormy eyes
>         As blue as the summer skies
>
>(Repeat: "as far as I can recall".)

OK, if we're going to be attacked by more of these earworm beasties,
we might as well make sure we have the lyrics right.  Mark's recall
faculty isn't suffering from free Association exactly, but just
coalescing their verses a bit and creating a line.  At least I was
right about those stormy eyes that flash at the sound of lies--I knew
I hadn't made up that admirable, if improbable, trait.  Between
Windy's eyes and Pinocchio's nose, who needs polygraphs?
===================

Who's peekin' out from under a stairway
Calling a name that's lighter than air
Who's bending down to give me a rainbow
Everyone knows it's Windy

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
Smilin' at everybody she sees
Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
Everyone knows it's Windy

And Windy has stormy eyes