"Connecticut accent" in the Times

Charles Jones cejone01 at MOREHEADSTATE.EDU
Thu Sep 9 18:14:01 UTC 2004

Laurence Horn wrote:

Bostonians and New Yorkers also pronounce their ''o's'' and ''a's''
differently from each other and from Connecticut.

  Ms. MacKenzie said ''forest'' and ''orange'' are pronounced FORE-ist
and OR-inge in Connecticut, but as FAR-ist and ARE-inge in New York.

I knew a gentleman from Louisiana that pronounced his o's and a's very much like
that of these described in NY.  It seems unlikely to me that these
pronunciations would be similar at all.