egregious prescriptivism

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Sep 10 19:11:34 UTC 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 9:46 AM, Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Gordon, Matthew J." <GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: egregious prescriptivism
> --------
>
> I didn't read Wilson Gray's comment as prescriptive. I thought he was =
> reminding us of an earlier thread in which it was suggested that "be =
> done" vs. "be through" might be indexical of some variety or other. =
> Obviously, I forget the details.

My observation re the use of "I'm done" rather than "I'm through" was a
pretend "gotcha" that referred to our earlier discussion regarding
variation in the use of "done" vs. the use of "through" in certain
contexts, one such context being the one that Professor Butters refers
to. For those who missed a truly scintillating and
consciousness-raising discussion, I observed that, in certain syntactic
contexts in which a person wishes to express, in some sense, the
meaning, "finish(ed), complete(d)," etc., a speaker of Black English
was more likely to say "I'm through," etc. than "I'm done," etc. On the
other hand, I continued, a person accustomed to speaking standard
English was more likely to say, "I'm done," under the same set of
conditions. I don't recall that many people were in agreement with me,
if any were.

So, when I saw "I'm done ..." used in a context in which I would most
*definitely* have used "I'm through ..." I couldn't resist the chance
to say, in effect, "See there?! I *told* you so!"

For the record, I would never prescribe a usage that I consider to be
non-standard or, at least, out of the mainstream. I'm too much of a
prescriptivist for that.

-Wilson Gray