know the score

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Sep 11 19:43:45 UTC 2004

        "To know the score" almost certainly derives from music, because that's
where "knowing the score" is a bona fide accomplishment, a sign of thoroughly knowing what's going on.  By contrast, anyone paying even minimal attention at a sporting event will have a pretty good idea what the score is. And if  there's any doubt, a quick look at the scoreboard will remove it."Knowing the score" at the sporting takes no special talent or effort at all.

Gerald Cohen

        <snip>