Johnny cakes

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Sep 15 02:11:30 UTC 2004

On Sep 14, 2004, at 7:20 PM, Sam Clements wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Johnny cakes
> --------
>
> 1739, in the M-W.
>
> SC

Sounds a little like a dish called "hot-water cornbread" in my family.
You just mix white corneal with water
to the point that you can make balls out of it. Then you flatten the
balls to pancake size with a spatula and cook them in a skillet greased
with bacon fat till they're crusty brown-and-black.

-Wilson Gray