Fat lady singing ...

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 16 15:28:48 UTC 2004

 This is self-evidently a shaggy-dog put-on of the "pluck yew" variety.

JL

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: Fat lady singing ...

Well, here's what I found. From The Age, 11/23/03:

<>

I found references to "fat lady sinks" only as far back as 1988, and they all seemed to be plays on "fat lady sings." For the billiards explanation to have any credibility, I think that at a minimum we would need to find evidence that the term is sometimes used in a literal sense (sinking the 8-ball), and as far as I know there is none.

John Baker