"Even turkeys can fly" (1992)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 17 01:48:38 UTC 2004

I thought I'd expound a bit more on the flying turkey, for the benefit of anyone doing a "turkey" book or doing a slang dictionary that doesn't end at the letter "O."

Personally, though, I prefer flying pigs.

(GOOGLE)
. A bit later, Gupta produces a fabulous aphorism: "There's a saying in Silicon Valley
that says, 'If the wind blows hard enough, even turkeys can fly.' And the ...
www.theatlantic.com/politics/nj/powers2001-09-11.htm - Similar pages

(FACTIVA)(11 hits for "even a turkey can fly"--ed.)
NEW-ISSUE WHEAT VERSUS CHAFF. (TECHNOLOGY STOCKS GOOD FOR INVESTMENTS) (COMPUTER VENTURES)

By Richard A. Shaffer
875 words
Forbes
114
English
Copyright Forbes Inc. 1992

IT'S NEW-ISSUE TIME again, and I'm hearing some familiar Wall Street saws. "When the ducks quack, feed them,' is one. Another: "In a strong wind, even turkeys can fly."

(FACTIVA)
Don't ask too much of banks, property.

By Wong Kok Hoi.
933 words
Business Times Singapore
English
(c) 1999 Singapore Press Holdings Limited

[SINGAPORE] In a bull market, virtually every stock will take off. As the joke goes, even turkeys will fly.

(FACTIVA)
The Boston Consulting Group Column - Private equity investment - a marriage of like minds.

By Nicholas Bloy.
1,233 words
The Edge
English
(c) 1999 The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd

The old cliche - "In a stiff enough breeze, even a turkey can fly" - was never more true than in the case of many Asian companies prior to the Asian economic crisis. The breeze was provided by high levels of liquidity, coupled with a less-than-prudent approach to capital allocation by investors and bankers alike. Liquidity evaporated over the course of 1998, creating a funding vacuum that remains today. Expanding into this vacuum is a hitherto-overlooked source of capital, known as private equity.