Ubiquitous prescriptivism

Robert Hartwell Fiske Vocabula at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 17 18:57:03 UTC 2004

... In the spirit of being appropriate, let me renew my invitation to
members of the ADS list: I welcome receiving essays on -- well, on whatever you
please so long as it relates to language and is not a personal attack on  me. As
I say on my site:

The Vocabula Review — not meant to be solely a forum for our  prejudices —
invites readers to submit articles about issues related to the  English
language. In the spirit of thoughtful inquiry and personal essays, we  wish to
encourage writers to submit articles about what they themselves think.
Well-written, insightful, creative articles are far more appealing to us than
overreferenced, overannotated articles. What's important to us is not what  everyone else
has ever thought but a clear presentation of one's own thoughts.  Today,
there are few opportunities for people to enjoy the freedom that comes  with
writing for oneself and others in a nonacademic way. The Vocabula  Review offers
one such opportunity.

Robert  Hartwell Fiske
Editor and Publisher
The Vocabula Review