celebumom, skeezy

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Sep 19 05:40:07 UTC 2004

On Sep 18, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Jonathon Green wrote:

>> I wonder whence "skeeze" = "whore" [verb].
>
> Indeed. The possible and by no means proven etymology that I offer in
> my
> dict. runs: ''? SAmE _skeezicks_, a ‘mean, contemptible fellow’
> (Bartlett); ? ult. Cornish _skeese_, to frisk about + _skicer_, a lamb
> that kills itself through excess activity.'

Skeezix[sic] is the name of a character in the comic strip, Gasoline
Alley. He's a very nice, Dagwood-like guy. But I also have a memory,
unfortunately very, very vague, that there once was also, around the
time of WWII, another comic strip or, perhaps, a comic book, in which
the skeezix was some sort of dragon-like monster.

-Wilson Gray