Hinky Dinky

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 22 14:50:14 UTC 2004

Thanks, Phil.  Another new one.  Reminds me of a stanza printed in the '20s:

            The 77th went over the top,
            A sous-lieutenant, a Jew and a Wop.

The US 77th Division, presumably alluded to here, was organized almost entirely from New York City, hence the ethnic refernces.

Why the French term "sous-lieutenant," I don't know.  Most unusual in AEF.

Allegedly the best known "over the top" stanza during WWI was,

            The little Marine went over the top
            To circumcise the Kaiser's cock.

           ("Kick the Kaiser off the pot" was another possibility.)

These exx., from Melbert B. Carey's privately printed collection (1930s) almost miraculously survived the bowdlerizations of the period.

The "little Marine" properly belongs to the extended version of the original bawdy song.

JL