duke and dook

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 23 13:28:07 UTC 2004

Laurence Horn said:
>At 11:15 PM -0400 9/22/04, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>>In a message dated 9/22/04 4:58:32 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:
>>

>>>   homies from Duke University
>>>

>>at least in the beginning, when Duke was a southern school, it was pronounced
>>[djuk], not [duk].
>
>What of "Dukies", though?  I've heard Dick Vitale refer to Dukies
>3,578 times, and it was ['dukiz] each time, but I don't know if
>that's a fact about Dick Vitale or about Dukies.

I have a vague and unlocatable (geographically) recollection of
palatalizing types (i.e., those who would say [djuk]) referring to
[dukiz] as a kind of put-down. That is, for the speakers it was
insulting to refer to [dukiz] in a way that [djukiz] wouldn't be.

I could probably be vaguer after another cup of coffee.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963