dialect tidbit

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 23 15:45:45 UTC 2004

At 10:18 AM -0500 9/23/04, Michael Procter wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:02:33AM -0700, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>>-----------------------
>>  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>  Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
>>  Subject:      Re: dialect tidbit

>>  When I hear 'Good night, nurse' I think of Archie Bunker who said
>>it fairly frequently.  I don't think I've ever heard it off TV,
>>tho.  However, I use "Good night, Irene!"  I have no idea who Irene
>>is.  I tend not to make up things like that, but I do not know
>>where I got it. Has anyone else heard that?
>>  Fritz J
>
>Most likely you got it from the 1950 Huddie Ledbetter / John Lomax song
>Good Night Irene:
>
>http://www.rienzihills.com/SING/goodnightirene.htm
>
>--
In fact, this song as actually sung by Leadbelly (i.e. Huddie
Ledbetter) did not include the version of the chorus given at this
web site or the one linked by Alice, i.e.

Irene good night Irene good night
Good night Irene Good night Irene
I'll see you in my dreams

but rather

I'll get you in my dreams

I think it may have been the Weavers who were responsible for the euphemism.

larry