"last stitch effort"

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Sep 24 13:56:53 UTC 2004

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
: On Sep 21, 2004, at 9:03 AM, Orin Hargraves wrote:

:: Wasn’t somebody collecting these things the other week?

: the Language Loggers (me included) have been collecting these
: "eggcorns" for months.

I am somewhat embarassed to admit that i've been puzzling away in silence
all this time, trying desparately to figure out why in the world these
things would be called "eggcorns", since "eggcorn" sounds nothing at all
like "acorn" to me.

I finally got it this morning--and this in the face of the fact that Jeanne
and i regularly argue over whose pronunciation of "egg" is correct, her [eg]
or my [Eg].

Does this mean i have to turn in my linguist badge?

<snip>

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx