coffee (was: Duke and dook)

Fri Sep 24 18:55:05 UTC 2004

Laurence Horn  scripsit:

OK, d'accord.  I know the shibboleth for the NYCization of open o is
"coffee", similiarly pronounced with a diphthong that starts life at
[u], but there again, given the inglide, it clearly doesn't rhyme
with "goofy".

<<<<<<

Huh! I grew up in NYC, and lived there until 73, when I left for graduate
school in Berkeley. When I moved to the Boston area in 1980, I was struck by
the extremely high onset of the first syllable vowel in "coffee", which
sounded very unfamiliar to me.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]