dookie

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 24 18:58:19 UTC 2004

At 2:41 PM -0400 9/24/04, Barnhart wrote:
>Is this the same as "have a think" (the British informal expression) for
>"to think"?

I would (have a) think so.  Cf. "have a look", "have a sniff", "have
a taste", etc., as well as "have the hope that".  Ross (1967) points
out that these don't yield the same sort of (Ross-)constraint
violations as ordinary complex NPs:

(?)Who did you have the hope that you daughter would marry?
*Who did you dismiss [the hope that you daughter would marry ___]?

(?)What did you make the claim we should do in Iraq?
*What did you believe [the claim we should do ___ in Iraq]?

larry