Novel = Book

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sat Sep 25 00:10:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:50:40PM -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I can't show any print examples that actually name
> recognized works of nonfiction as "novels." Yet.  There may
> be an example in Leonard Maltin's movie review book, but I
> was too stultified to write it down.

Jon,

I'm pretty sure that you sent me an example that I, too lazy to
type in, simply wrote on a slip and sent off to Oxford. Some
military book.

It's been observed that _graphic novel_ is used to refer to
any narrative in comic form, fiction or not--_Maus_ being a
prime example of the latter.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED