Splib

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Sun Sep 26 01:34:33 UTC 2004

I remember the term from the first time I was in the Army, 65-68, but don't
remember whether it was used in a derogatory manner.  I don't remember ever
hearing it since.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net (no professional linguistic status)
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Scroggs" <Larry at SCROGGS.COM>

I have been a lurker on the ADS-L digest for about a year and greatly enjoy
the information shared here. When I was in the Marine Corps in the late
Sixties a very common term we used for a black Marine was a splib. It wasn't
a derogatory term and was freely used  by both blacks and whites. I have
never heard the term used outside of the Corps and have no idea of its
origins or even if it is still used. Is anyone familiar with this word and
its origins?  Thanks.

Larry Scroggs
El Paso, Texas, USA