Song = piece of music (was: Novel = Book)

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Sun Sep 26 06:01:30 UTC 2004

At a rehearsal of the orchestra I play in it is possible to hear in the
back of the violin section an exchange like:
Q: What song are we playing next?
A:  The Schumann Piano Concerto.

I've heard this usage my whole musical life, it seems.  I had associated it
with folks who have been taught to play an instrument, but not much about
music.  Each piece in their method books was, in fact, a song
arrangement.  However, perhaps there is more to it than that.
--Tom Kysilko

At 9/24/2004 04:50 PM -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>It was in the spring of 1983 or '84 that I first heard an undergraduate
>casually refer to a book of nonfiction as a "novel."

   Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
   pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA
           http://www.visi.com/~pds