"Blind hog/pig finds an acorn" (1883, 1889)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 26 20:50:25 UTC 2004

While I was observing Yom Kippur, some on this list were changing my "blind squirrel" into a "blind pig" or a "blind hog."

Who knows? Maybe one of the "three blind mice" could find an acorn, too?

The following JSTOR article is of interest to the Fred Shapiro-types to read in full.

(JSTOR)
Folk-Lore of the Pennsylvania Germans. III
W. J. Hoffman
The Journal of American Folklore, Vol. 2, No. 6. (Jul. - Sep., 1889), pp. 191-202.
Pg. 199:
19. ...
Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.--Remarked of one who unexpectedly, or undeservedly, meets with good fortune.

(WRIGHT AMERICAN FICTION)
Burke, T. A. (Thomas A.), (1828-1880): Polly Peablossom's Wedding (1851) 1 match in 1 of 199 pages
MIKE HOOTER'S BAR STORY.
arn Parson Dilly say so, I'd ov swore it wasn't er fac, he was cotch one day stealin' acorns from a blind hog. Did you ever hear how that hoss-fly died? Well, never mind. It was too bad to talk 'bout,

Clark, Alexander, (1834-1879): The Old Log School House (1861) 1 match in 1 of 315 pages
GOING THROUGH THE WORLD.
He is too simple to devise, and too cowardly to perform a noble act. He would "steal acorns from a blind hog," if we may borrow a phrase to suit the person. He would tremble at an enraged pismire!

Title: Sense, or, Saturday-night Musings and Thoughtful Papers (1868)