S. P. Q. R.

Mon Sep 27 19:36:43 UTC 2004

The following is from a portrait of James Gordon Bennett, the most loathed and loathesome newspaper publisher in NYC until Rupert Murdock came to town.  But our loss was Australia's gain, I suppose.

1842:   I have not said that James Gordon was open hearted or straightforward; nor do I intend to, although I might; for his motto is S. P. Q. R., salaries paid quite regular.  [New York] Sunday Mercury, February 7, 1841, p. 2, col. 2

Is or was this twisting of the motto of the Roman Republic traditional?  I haven't encountered it before.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African
Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.