SUX

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 28 00:18:17 UTC 2004

At 2:44 PM -0700 9/27/04, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Sep 27, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Bill Mullins wrote:
>
>>Ever heard of someone "taking the slaw" (to fellate)?  That was a new
>>one on
>>me, that a guy I work with used one day.
>
>i have lived (what i think of as) unimaginably far from a sheltered
>life, rich with the experience of fellatio and people talking openly
>and enthusiastically about it, but this is a new one on me (and, it
>seems, on google).  i'd guess it was a novel metaphor, based on the
>shape of pieces of slaw, possibly on the texture or even taste/smell
>("taking/chewing/eating the ika" would be a *really* good metaphor, but
>i don't recall having heard it, more's the pity).

well, there's this:

http://www.chartattack.com/DAMN/2002/09/2704.cfm

Who had to clean up all those vats of coleslaw that got thrown on the audience?
We figured we would just let it fester in the heat a while and see
what would happen. Apparently, the bands who played the next night
all died horrible deaths. But that's the risk you take playin' rock
'n' roll. If you can't take the slaw, fuck the hell off!
=============================

Or maybe it's a trope in which Partner #1 extorts oral sex from
Partner #2 in exchange for other services, based on an extended, if
somewhat obscure, analogy with cable service in Ontario:
=============================
The Toronto Star
December 15, 1994, Thursday, METRO EDITION
SECTION: ENTERTAINMENT; Pg. E6
HEADLINE: Click, click, cha-cha-cha Cable TV dances rings around us
BYLINE: By Antonia Zerbisias

  So what do we get for all these headaches and hassles?

  Seven new channels - the arty Bravo!, the news-you-can-use Life
Network, the science and nature Discovery, the strummin' and
struttin' New Country Network, the TV-from- round-the-globe Showcase,
the women's-world WTN and Reseau de l'information (RDI), the
French-language news service. WTN and RDI are going to basic cable
while the rest will be on a pay tier cleverly marketed as
"extended-basic" or "cable- plus" so you don't realize you are
forking out extended-plus bucks for them.

  The new offerings will run previews for the next two weeks. On Jan.
1, the channels will get piped in free. But, if you don't want them,
you better tell your cable company by Feb. 1 or you'll be whacked
some four smackers a month.

  Trouble is, if you do that, you can kiss MuchMusic, CNN, A & E, TSN
and other services goodbye. This is a whole meal deal, you take the
slaw, the shake and the pickle if you want the burger and fries.

larry