Skivvies (1918)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Sep 29 04:47:50 UTC 2004

Here is an example of "skivvies", apparently in the usual early sense "US
Navy underwear", from N'archive.

_Nebraska State Journal_ (Lincoln NE), 30 Dec. 1918 (?): p. 6(?), col. 1:

[Title: "Boys Will Be Boys -- Even in the Marine Corps"]

["Copyright 1918, by The International Syndicate."]

<<"Hit the deck!" / .... / "Well, boys, I believe I'll play a little golf
today and not go to the office at all. I'm all run down and need a little
hard physical labor," declares an athlete in the act of putting on his
"skivvies.">>