Kissinger, Sayre, and "vicious university politics for small stakes"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 30 05:29:38 UTC 2004

The answer came in today. Google Answers cited the work of Fred Shapiro!

Google Answers got five stars and a tip. Fred Shapiro received nothing for
his work. What a thankless business this is!

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=403609
Barbara J. Davis, "Henry Kissinger Quote Responses", online posting
(09/02/03)Archive of the Law-Lib Electronic Discussion List hosted by Universityof
California, Davis, School of Law Library
http://lawlibrary.ucdavis.edu/LAWLIB/Sept03/0006.html

http://lawlibrary.ucdavis.edu/LAWLIB/Sept03/0006.html
>>From John Hagemann - I have it attributed to him as "Academic politics are
so bitter because the stakes are so small" by Martin Peretz in the New
Republic, 10/4/82, at 47.

        NOTE: We found The New Republic issue and the quote is part of an
article titled "Cambridge Diarist" on page 42. It doesn't
        provide any citation information for when or where (or whether)
Kissinger said it.

>>From Fred Shapiro - He did not definitely say it, although it is often
attributed to him. I checked with a friend of mine on the staff
        of the Yale Dictionary of Quotations, and this is what they have as a
source for this: "In any dispute the intensity of
        feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue
-- that is why academic politics are so bitter."
        Wallace S. Sayre, quoted in Charles Issawi, "Issawi's Laws of Social
Motion" (1973)

>>From Susan Duede - This quote is all over the Internet attributed to Henry
Kissinger. The quote is even used by professors at
        major universities as a Kissinger quote. The book, "The 2,548 Best
Things Anybody Ever Said" (edited by Robert
        Byrne and published by Simon & Schuster in 2003) includes this quote.
However, unlike the other quotes which say
        when and where the quote was said, this one only says, "As recalled
by Arlene Heath."