Nitty Gritty (1952)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 2 04:33:47 UTC 2005

I looked for this again, but only the 1950s come up.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
TOWER TICKER
Will Leonard. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 12, 1952. p. B4 (1 page)
DEFINITION: Dan Burley, who is an associate editor of Ebony when he isn't playing his "skiffle" music at the Sutherland hotel, can define his creation. "Skiffle music," says his explanation, "is close-quarters rug cutting in a room with indigo lights, a carpet chopped down to the nitty-gritty by people dancing on a dime."
(PAPER OF RECORD)
14 February 1953, The Baltimore Afro-American, pg. 30, col. 2:
And that brings me down to the nitty gritty of this column.
("Big Town" by James Hicks from NY--ed.)