Philadelphia Story 2

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Mon Apr 4 07:29:18 UTC 2005

A TEACHER'S JOYS
A Philadelphia school-teacher tells this story:
"Last week I was teaching a spelling lesson to a class of little
second-graders. The word 'each' occurred, was written on the board, and from
it I expected to derive 'peach,' 'reach,' 'teach,' etc. Pointing at the
word, I said, 'Can any child give a sentence using "each"?'
"A hand was unhesitatingly thrust up and a little German girl replied, 'Does
your back each?'"

-- 'That Reminds Me', George W. Jacobs & Co, Philadelphia, October 1905, 18