OED vs. 18th Century CO (was Johnson's dictionary)

Mon Apr 4 12:32:28 UTC 2005

I certainly agree that a linguist who might be asked to give attorneys advice
on 18th Century usage should consult primary sources, but attorneys are
generally not professionally prepared to interpret the material that they would
find in primary sources (including, for that matter, Johnson's DICTIONARY). The
best bet for the nonprofessional is the OED--and even that is rather more
complicated and linguistically nuanced than the attorney may be able to deal with.
Not to mention that, considering what lawyers go for per hour, and the number
of hours that such enterprises would entail, it makes far more sense--and is
kinder to the pocketbook of the client--to hire a linguist to do this kind of
work.