Nicaragua

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 4 17:14:25 UTC 2005

Ah, but *I* didn't say it, which exposes the basic flaw in your philosophy.

JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: Nicaragua

Jonathan Lighter sez:

Given that the sounds represented by the spellings "g," "gh," and "ch"
as pronounced in Dutch are sounds that don't exist in English, I would
be stunned to hear any English-speaker pronounce "Gogh" as the Dutch
do. It would be a real accomplishment. I've tried it, quite
unsuccessfully, while vacationing in Amsterdam and with Dutch friends
in here in the States. It's *very* difficult.

<<<

Not for all of us, bubbele.

-- Mark