Nicaragua

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 7 03:06:52 UTC 2005

At 9:19 AM -0700 4/4/05, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:
>Although I agree with your message, I have issue with your statement
>about 'Kant'.  How DO English speakers pronounce it? I have never
>heard anything but [kahnt], i.e. the German pronunciation in
>English. Am I out of my mind, or is there another pronunciation of
>which I am unaware?  (I see that the AHD also gives a rhyme with
>'ant', but I have never heard that)
>As far as van Gogh, I've heard both 'go' and 'goff' (as if he were
>related to the fellow, Gough, Goff, who signed Charles' death
>warrant).
>Fritz

Funny, I guess that wouldn't have leapt to mind, but we have three
streets that come together in downtown New Haven, near Yale, that are
named for the Regicides:  Gough, Dixwell, and Whalley.  (They hung
out around here, so they wouldn't hang elsewhere.)  And Gough is
indeed (still) pronounced "Goff" in these parts (although usually
with an [a] rather than an open-o, but that's another story).

Larry