Nicaragua

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Thu Apr 7 14:39:58 UTC 2005

Out of curiosity, how is Whalley pronounced in those parts?  Probably [w] at the beginning, but what about the first vowel?

Funny, I guess that wouldn't have leapt to mind, but we have three
streets that come together in downtown New Haven, near Yale, that are
named for the Regicides:  Gough, Dixwell, and Whalley.  (They hung
out around here, so they wouldn't hang elsewhere.)  And Gough is
indeed (still) pronounced "Goff" in these parts (although usually
with an [a] rather than an open-o, but that's another story).

Larry