Accents in Cold Mountain (the movie)

Fri Apr 8 13:12:35 UTC 2005

Inconsistent accents may or may not be a valid
criticism.

First, as I understand - and I ask those with
expertise to comment and correct as necessary - what
we recognize as a "southern" accent didn't even exist
150 years ago, actually developed after the War of
Northern Aggression.  Can the same be said for the
"North Carolina" accent? ...did John Edwards
great-great-grandfather (assuming he lived in NC)
speak with the same accent as John?

Second: did all the characters in Cold Mountain come
from the same region in NC?  Does it even say they're
all NC natives?  Were they all from families that had
lived in the area for generations, or were they a mix
of old timers and new comers?  Even if they were from
long established families, how much variation in
speech would be expected from town to town, county to
county?

Just some questions that came to mind as I read
Michael Reisman's comments.

http://www.cardozoinsider.com/news/2004/02/08/Entertainment/Cold-Mountain.Six.Characters.In.Search.Of.A.Dialect.Coach-600708.shtml