Alley-Oop

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Apr 8 14:58:22 UTC 2005

At 5:52 AM -0700 4/8/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>In my limited experience, "ups-a-daisy" (sic) is more common.  Even
>in the '50s, I'm pretty sure I heard "alley-oop" solely in old
>movies.
>
>"Alley Oop" is best known, I think, as the name of a famous caveman.
>
>JL

In some circles it's more widely known as a football and, more
recently, basketball play.  I recall it first being applied to a pass
play practiced by the San Francisco 49ers (football team), in which
the quarterback (John Brodie?  Y. A. Tittle?) would heave it high
into the end zone to R. C. Owens, who was quite tall and could reach
over the heads of the defensive backs to pluck the ball out of the
air.  That would have been in the late 50's/early 60's, I'm guessing.
Later, it became used quite frequently in basketball and still is,
again with a tall guy (there are a lot of them around in basketball)
going up for the ball near the basket and someone passing it to him
when he's at the top of his arc, so he can slam it down.  On ESPN
they even distinguish between the "alley" (the pass) and the "oop"
(the catch and slam).

larry