prescriptive grammar

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 8 21:26:11 UTC 2005

--
At the primary school that I attended in the '40's, no attempt was
made to teach the grammar of English until we pupils reached the

In high school, where we studied Latin for seven hours a week and
Homeric Greek for five, the fact that I had already learned how to
study grammar in the classical manner in primary school turned out be
a real mitzve. I eventually placed in the top twenty in the Jesuits'
International Latin Contest. There was no Greek contest, but I
probably would have scored well in that, too.

-Wilson Gray